5/8/12

The Avengers: A Review

Before I start this, let me just say...
There is no possible way I will be able to say all that this movie is. Means. Feels.
No. Possible. Way.

Also, this is not organized.
Also, I need to see it again for a better review.
But.
Here goes.

I could definitely tell, especially through the dialogue, that this was Joss Whedon. I remember the day I found out he was directing. I believed there was literal screaming involved. A few examples of my favorite lines (disclaimer: accuracy may be off) that I can actually remember:
“Stark, are you seeing this?” “Seeing, yes. Still working on the believing.”
“Puny god.”
“He’s my brother.” “He’s killed eighty people in two days.” “He’s adopted.”
“That’s my secret. I’m always angry.”

 Favorite characters were Tony, Thor, Hawkeye, and Loki. Impressively, those first three? Are also my favorite characters in the comic books as well. Well, the top three anyway. (I have a lot more favorite in the comic books... For example: I’m actually a huge fan of She-Hulk. Yeah... Don’t judge me?) I will always and forever love Tony most. Always. Forever. Limp Iron Man was terrifying. I started quietly cackling when the thunderstorm started announcing the arrival of Thor into the movie. I was really worried about Hawkeye since I love him so much in the comic books. As soon as Natasha gave him a good konk on the head, though, we had the Hawkeye I know and love. I would totally love for him to get his own movie. And do I really have to say anything about Loki? No? I didn’t think so.

Hulk was also up there, but my already settled love for the others trumped him. He definitely had the two best scenes, though. The “Puny god” scene, of course. (Though, I actually thought the funniest part of that was the look on Loki’s face afterwards...) And his random punch to Thor. I died. And his secret... The depths of those three words... Good heavens. Beautiful.

Of course, knowing Joss, I was sitting there throughout the whole movie wondering who the death was going to be. I was actually surprised that it was Coulson. I totally expected him to be okay for a few moments until I remembered “JOSS”. But I was still waiting for someone else to die as well. I was totally expecting either Natasha or Erik Selvig to sacrifice themselves to close the portal. Until nuke. You know.

I. Love. Pepper. And. Tony’s. Relationship. Holy crap adorbs. It’s just so nice to see them so established and comfortable. (Also, bizarre to see her out of a suit. The jean shorts? Weird. Though, Paltrow definitely has the legs for it.) Also, I’m totally ready for Tony to make her her suit now. Who else is with me?

I think the relationship between Tony and Bruce is a beautiful thing as well. I really hope to see that explored more. Everyone goes on and on about Tony and Steve (and it is true that they are best friends in the comic books), but I just... meh. I don’t think it’s even as close to dynamic as Tony and Bruce’s relationship.

The way they ended it with the dark mysterious council people and Nick Fury made me wonder if they’re going to go in the direction of the Civil War series. Which would be a gutsy move, seeing how controversial that series is. I, personally, love it myself just because it is *such* a hard topic and I was constantly rethinking things and trying to figure out which side I was on. Judging by the quality movies (and directors--really, let’s pause for a moment and just praise the glorious directors Marvel has gotten to do their movies) they’ve put out so far, I would trust them to do a good job with the Civil War series. It’s a whole heck of a lot to deal with and it would have to span over a number of movies, but I think it could be done. Maybe. If they’re willing to do it.

Nick Fury was fantastic. So good to see more of him. And I loved not loving him. Because you don’t in the comic books. Because he’s kind of a jerk. Natasha was wonderful. So good to see more of her, too. Loved getting to actually know her as a person instead of just this sexy killing machine. Coulson is a huge fanboy and I loved it. His death... I think what hit me the hardest about his death was Tony’s reaction. Because this is Tony we’re talking about here.

Yes, I know, I haven’t really mentioned Captain America that much and let me just tell you why. Meh. That’s why. I’ve never liked Captain America. Ever. I liked his movie, but that’s because it was just a good movie. Fact. Throw him in with a bunch of totally kick butt superheroes and I feel like he just pales in comparison. Sorry.

But that didn’t detract from the movie at all. Seriously, I was sitting there, gaping at the screen like a fish and forgetting how to breathe, or I was seriously freaking out and giggling/cackling like a schoolgirl. I am a nerd enough to have clapped my hands over my mouth during the first short with Thanos. And the second short was just plain adorable. I am a huge fan.

Moral of the story?

I need to go see this movie again.

ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment