1/20/12

Domestic Me

It's weird. A year and a half ago my plan was to become a television actress. Get on a good show that lasts for a few years. Get my name out there. Get settled. Then look around and find someone to marry. Have a kid or two.

And then a series of things happened. Not least of which, I became a lot more, uh. Domestic would be the best word, I guess.

I did an August semester in 2010. And all of a sudden... I started cooking. I hated cooking! And here I was making cinnamon rolls. From scratch. I made cloud cookies. And cheese pie. And this parfait thing totally by accident.




Now? I got a waffle iron for Christmas. And got really excited when I found a spatula on sale at Target. And making a beautiful gourmet meal is on my bucket list. And my sisters and I have plans for a restaurant in the making.

So there was that. Then about a year ago, I was in "Twelve Angry Jurors". My character, I eventually decided, was basically my mom... except in the 60s. What made that decision final? I had to crochet. I had to learn how to crochet for this show. At first, I was not thrilled. (I emailed my mom, telling her, and her reply was--I kid you not--"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA".) But then I started to actually enjoy it. For some reason, however, I stopped crocheting after the show. Over this last Christmas break, I asked my sister to re-teach me. And I made a frog. Then a scarf. Then a TARDIS.


I have a couple of other projects I'm excited to get working on. :)

Last but not least in my domestic...ness: family history. My mom loves doing the research and hunting down her dead people. I don't understand how to do that and I get the feeling that I'd get way too frustrated way too quickly. So over Christmas break my mom gave me this huge folder of names to check and add in to new.familysearch if needed. She isn't a big fan of that part and I... strangely... love it. A lot.

So that dream/goal I had a year and a half ago? Completely changed. Heck, I've gone from wanting to be on television... to wanting to be an elementary school teacher. That's sort of a big change. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment